Skip to main content

Dialogue

I've just come out of a long conversation with the guy from British Gas who came to do a safety check on my boiler.

The fact that I live within a theological college meant that the conversation got around to faith. We began by talking about the differences between the different denominations represented here at college. This got us around to Unitarianism, and what is stands for.

We stood in my kitchen for half an hour talking. He asked me a lot of questions about Unitarianism, and I did my best to answer him. Then he started talking about his own faith. He was Pentecostal. He asked me for a Bible and showed me some proof texts as he talked about his faith and what it meant to him.

He talked in an articulate way about what he believed with gusto and confidence.

I fully enjoy such conversations, even though I feel inadequate to express my beliefs. I'm sure God is working in such conversations, but I don't always know what result God is working to come out of the encounters. Should one of us be converted by each other? Should both of us be converted? What kind of conversion are we talking about?

I judge that such a person is probably not likely to want to be a Unitarian, his current faith position is too far away. And I'm not going to become a Pentecostal, though a great deal of it I do love.

The question that runs through my head in such a conversation is where to engage. I disagree with much of what he says, but at what point do I engage? At what point do I disagree and hope something fruitful can come out of the conversation? These are my questions and issues:

How do you know the Bible is true? Just because its written in the Bible does that make it true? What if there were others saying different things that didn't make it into the Bible? Where does authority come from?

Does God take back God's covenant with the Jews? If God makes a covenant with the Jews then surely God means it and does not need Jews to become Christians. This would be God breaking the covenant God made.

'Through Christ all are saved' Does God really condemn some to hell?

Aren't the spiritual battles within us rather than in some supernatural realm?

Doesn't God care more about justice than right belief?

Shouldn't we be getting our hands dirty in the political and economic realm rather than just condemning it and separating from it? Isn't that consistent with the biblical witness?

If the Holy Spirit blows wherever it will, could it not be working in other religions?

In the end I didn't really ask any of these questions. The one issue I tackled him on was 'the Jews killed Jesus.' I said the Romans killed Jesus, but didn't really get involved in all the issues around that.

I also wonder whose witness is more effective. He was confident and talked like he had all the answers, he was sure he did, at least on some issues. I was quieter, asked questions, seemed agnostic on a lot of things and listened. Which kind of approach is better? Should I be able to talk with confidence for 10 minutes uniterupted about the basic principles of the Unitarian faith? Or in fact will that put people off? Is a dialogical witness better? Or is too wet, too weak, not enough answers?


This afternoon I'm having a dialogue with a Muslim as part of my class. More dialogue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical?

When I started this blog nearly 4 years and nearly 300 posts ago one of the labels I used for it/me was "radical." Perhaps I used it a little unreflectively. Recently I've been pondering what radical means. A couple of things have made me think of this. Firstly this blog series from my friend Jeremy, which explores a distinction between "radical progressives" and "rational progressives." There is also this definition of radical, liberal and conservative from Terry Eagleton quoted at Young Anabaptist Radicals : “Radicals are those who believe that things are extremely bad with us, but they could feasibly be much improved. Conservatives believe that things are pretty bad, but that’s just the way the human animal is. And liberals believe that there’s a little bit of good and bad in all of us.” What interests me is finding a way to express the tension I feel sometimes between myself and the wider Unitarian movement. One way to express this is to say I tend

What does it mean to be non-creedal?

Steve Caldwell says "The problem here isn't humanism vs. theism for theist Unitarian Universalists -- it's the non-creedal nature of Unitarian Universalism" This is a good point. We need to think much more deeply about what it means to be a non-creedal religion. The first thing I want to say is that there is more than one possible understanding of non-creedalism. The Disciples of Christ are a non-creedal church, they say here : " Freedom of belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit study and prayer, and are expected to extend that freedom to others." Quakers are also non-creedal and say here : Quakers have no set creed or dogma - that means we do not have any declared statements which you have to believe to be a Quaker. There are, however, some commonly held views which unite us. One accepted view is that th

What is Radical Christianity?

Radical Christianity is about encountering the God of love . It is first and foremost rooted in the discovery of a universal and unconditional source of love at the heart of reality and within each person. God is the name we give to this source of love. It is possible to have a direct and real personal encounter with this God through spiritual practice. We encounter God, and are nourished by God, through the regular practice of prayer, or contemplation.  Radical Christianity is about following a man called Jesus . It is rooted in the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth, a Jewish prophet living under occupation of the Roman Empire two thousand years ago. It understands that's Jesus' message was the message of liberation. His message was that when we truly encounter God, and let God's love flow through us, we begin to be liberated from the powers of empire and violence and encounter the  "realm of God" - an alternative spiritual and social reality rooted in love rather th