Skip to main content

The first principle of my work - the hyper-local


I've decided to write down the principles of the work that I do in Cardiff. These are not necessarily in order of importance but simply the order that they have occurred to me. The work, that I feel called by God to do in Cardiff, is a kind of pioneer ministry, community ministry, spirit-led activism. It works by a number of practices and principles that I have developed, borrowed from others, learnt from books, or made up as I've gone along! These principles might change as I am always learning and adapting, but these are my foundations right now.

The first principle of the work is the hyper-local. The first practice of my ministry is to live where I live - in Riverside. And to be a neighbour, a resident, a citizen, of my street, of my neighbourhood, of my city. 

Riverside is just a few thousand households, you can walk from one end to the other in 15 minutes. Yet it contains multitudes - different identities, classes, ethnicities, ages. 

But as an example of the principle of the hyper-local, I don't even want to talk about Riverside here. I want to get even more local. I want to reflect on just one street, Wells Street. I've been thinking a lot about Wells Street recently. It's not the street I live on, though I live on one of the nearby streets, and pass through Wells Street most days. 

The principle of the hyper-local means looking and looking and looking at what's right under your nose. It's based on the spiritual principle that life is all about paying attention. And the more you pay attention, the more you see, and the more you see the more you understand. As Saint David suggested we do, I'm paying attention to the little things. What can we understand by paying closer and closer attention to what is right in front of us?

The street, like all streets in Riverside, contains a mixture of housing association, private rented, and private owned houses. 

It's a residential street but there's one section where the houses kind of project out onto the road, and I think those all used to be shops. One house used to be a post office. Even though this area is quite close to other shops (and always was I'd guess) there obviously used to be a little shopping centre here - a post office and a number of shops. Now it is all gone, only one corner shop remains. 

There was a church on Wells Street, but it is now converted into a business. Some quick googling suggests it was Saint Cadoc's Church, but I can't find out any more information. 

There is now a mosque on Wells Street, Dar Us-Salam, but though I pass the men queuing outside on a Friday, I don't really know anything about it. 

At one end is a hairdressers and an empty shop. At the other end is a tyre and car wash business. 

But of course what matters most is the people. Wells Street tells a lot of stories. I've heard a few of them. As part of the project I'm working on I have interviewed one of the people on Wells Street, and I've listened to interviews from about six other residents of the street. One couple on the street are friends I have known for a couple of years. 

The more you listen, the more you understand. Every door is an opening to somebody else's life with all it's complexities and interest. I've heard about the struggles, the loneliness, the the joys, and the funny moments of life. 

There are some amazing people on Wells Street, amazing stories, but what has been lost is a lot of the "public" spaces of church, shops, post office where neighbourliness can grow, where community happens. Through working at the hyper-local, continuing to listen to the stories, and seeking spaces of community, this is one of things I'm trying to grow in my ministry. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical?

When I started this blog nearly 4 years and nearly 300 posts ago one of the labels I used for it/me was "radical." Perhaps I used it a little unreflectively. Recently I've been pondering what radical means. A couple of things have made me think of this. Firstly this blog series from my friend Jeremy, which explores a distinction between "radical progressives" and "rational progressives." There is also this definition of radical, liberal and conservative from Terry Eagleton quoted at Young Anabaptist Radicals : “Radicals are those who believe that things are extremely bad with us, but they could feasibly be much improved. Conservatives believe that things are pretty bad, but that’s just the way the human animal is. And liberals believe that there’s a little bit of good and bad in all of us.” What interests me is finding a way to express the tension I feel sometimes between myself and the wider Unitarian movement. One way to express this is to say I tend

What does it mean to be non-creedal?

Steve Caldwell says "The problem here isn't humanism vs. theism for theist Unitarian Universalists -- it's the non-creedal nature of Unitarian Universalism" This is a good point. We need to think much more deeply about what it means to be a non-creedal religion. The first thing I want to say is that there is more than one possible understanding of non-creedalism. The Disciples of Christ are a non-creedal church, they say here : " Freedom of belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit study and prayer, and are expected to extend that freedom to others." Quakers are also non-creedal and say here : Quakers have no set creed or dogma - that means we do not have any declared statements which you have to believe to be a Quaker. There are, however, some commonly held views which unite us. One accepted view is that th

What is Radical Christianity?

Radical Christianity is about encountering the God of love . It is first and foremost rooted in the discovery of a universal and unconditional source of love at the heart of reality and within each person. God is the name we give to this source of love. It is possible to have a direct and real personal encounter with this God through spiritual practice. We encounter God, and are nourished by God, through the regular practice of prayer, or contemplation.  Radical Christianity is about following a man called Jesus . It is rooted in the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth, a Jewish prophet living under occupation of the Roman Empire two thousand years ago. It understands that's Jesus' message was the message of liberation. His message was that when we truly encounter God, and let God's love flow through us, we begin to be liberated from the powers of empire and violence and encounter the  "realm of God" - an alternative spiritual and social reality rooted in love rather th