Skip to main content

The dumbest thing about American Unitarian Univeralism

I'm glad Peacebang started blogging about this cos I was about to, and now it's like I'm joining in with a conversation rather than doing a big rant and having a go at Americans (though that is always fun ;-)).

Why the hell do American (or is it just in New England??) UU churches take, like a quarter of the year off? In the summer they close. They CLOSE!! A church, closing. It's so bloody weird and wrong. Where does it come from? Why? Why? Why? Why do people need church less in the summer? Where are people supposed to go? Where is the Divine supposed to go?

My church in Boston didn't close exactly, but moved to the smaller upstairs chapel, but the minister still had all that time off.

Now I've spent most of my life around teachers and priests, both jobs where people think people don't put many hours in, when in fact they put in loads ('you only work Sunday mornings/9 to 3.25'). Teachers work hard and need their long holidays. Ministers work hard, and reserve holidays. But a QUARTER OF THE YEAR? Dude, when I'm a minister I'll be getting six Sundays off a year, at least half of the amount Americans get.

I'm not angry about it, I just think it's the weirdest thing. Unitarians in Britain don't do it (are Canadians the same as Americans?), no other denomination in America does it.

In short, it's the dumbest thing about American Unitarian Universalism. It's just weird.

Comments

Chalicechick said…
My church does give the ministers lots of time off, but we don't close in the summer either.

CC
Anonymous said…
When I was studying history, there was a little book published in Britian that told the buddying scholar of history to stop reading in the summer and take some time to travel, and refresh themselves.

The American Unitarian practice comes from our ideal of the scholar as clergy. The standard is one month vacation and one month study leave. There is also time for denominational service (pulpit exchanges, GA and conferences, and public appearences.)

Most churches are 52 weeks a year, of the thousand in the UUA I don't think more than 80 close in the summer, and while several hundred have lay services in the summer, others fill their pulpits with UU ministers who are either retired or community ministers or preachers from a not to far away congregation who are on study leave. I am preaching this coming week as a guest preacher.

So closing is wierd, but the summer off idea is an exageration.
Anonymous said…
I had thought that the standard British contract - at least in the South Eastern District - was for 40 services a year.
Anonymous said…
I was lead to believe that as the upper crust was away during summer, the churches closed. I have no idea if that’s true.

Popular posts from this blog

Drop the Free Christian!

Let me preface what I'm going to say by first saying this: I am a Christian. It's taken me a long time to be able to say that, and to know what I mean by that, and I'm very lucky that in the Unitarian church I have been given the space to come to that decision in my own time, on my own terms. But I am a Christian, I'm more Christian now than I have been for years. Now: I want us to drop this "Free Christian" from our title. It's a silly phrase that we need to get rid of. Why? "The General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches" is a long and unwieldy title. It would be much better if we traded under something like "Unitarians in Britain." It gives the impression that there are two separate and distinct groups: "Unitarians" and "Free Christians," this is not the case. It's not that there are Unitarians (who are not Christians) and "Free Christians" who are not Unitarians. There are not two dif...

Clergy-wear during protests

OK, I'm wandering into the territory of Beauty Tips for Ministers here, but a couple of recent conversations have brought up the issue of what clergy should wear for protests. I know a number of Ministers who only wear clerical collars for protests. The logic is that it's important to identify as a Minister when you're supporting something society doesn't expect clergy to. So Ministers will wear a collar at gay prides or pro-choice rallies to make this point. Now I could understand this if it you wore a collar going about your general business, and also did during a protest, but I'm quite uncomfortable with the idea of wearing clerical wear ONLY for protests. The seems to be something worth exploring. I have said before that I'm not in favour of special titles or clothing for religious leadership, mainly because Jesus explicitly said this was a lot of nonsense. Religious leaders should not need these articial crutches. I have no problem with certain liturgical c...

Is humanism theologically tolerant?

OK, well this might be controversial, but I feel the need to say it. Is humanist tolerant? Please note I'm not asking about humanism within society. Clearly humanism certainly believes in tolerance within society and I'm forever glad they are often the only people in the media calling for a separation of church and state. No, what I'm talking about is descriptions of Unitarianism like this and adverts like this , discussed at Peacebang here , which say that humanism is one option, Christianity is another, God is one option among many. The trouble is, humanism, by definition is theologically opposed to theism. This is very different from the relationship between Christianity and Buddhism. These two traditions may be vastly different, but Buddhism, by definition , is not opposed to Christianity, and Christianity, by definition , is not opposed to Buddhism. But humanism is consciously defined in opposition to Christianity and theism. So to say that humanism and theism can bot...