Friday, March 24, 2006

The greatest Unitarian preacher

I'm going through the list of UU churches podcasting here. This means that I often listen to five or six sermons a week. I usually listen to them while doing the washing-up. I feel like this studying of sermons, good and bad, is good preparation for my own sermon creating, which will become a very large part of my life very soon.

For the most part, I'm not that impressed. Most UU sermons I find boring and uninspiring. So far I quite like Second Unitarian Church of Omaha, Nebraska (Nebraska's one of those states I can never find in the middle of the USA) I don't really know why.

Then there's Bill Darlison at the Unitarian Church in Dublin. I think I can say he's the best Unitarian preacher I know. I don't always agree with him (his last sermon was on astrology, and I disagree with his beliefs about this). But comparing him to American preachers he's refreshingly different. Mystical and humourous, he's without a lot of the pretensious political stuff that comes out of American pulpits. His sermons are thought-provoking and spiritual. I like them.

I've also discovered UU radio. I may have some thought on this later. At the moment I'm not too impressed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Wilczynski said...

Don't forget http://www.UUAudioSermons.com which is a central source for the podcasts.

1:17 pm  
Blogger boyinthebands said...

With your right hand, point to your left with your index and middle finger. Nebraska's the state in the middle of the country that looks that that (if you have stubby fingers.) Omaha's on your wrist.

2:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easy, Mary Katherine Morn
http://www.uucf.org/Sermons/tabid/57/Default.aspx

10:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home