Skip to main content

Converted by myself


"It is very curious to observe the unpracticality of all sermons... by [Unitarians]... when they undertake any practical subject... somehow they don't get at it. You feel that you have heard or read a very clever and entertaining paper, embodying a good deal of clear and deep thought, and you ask 'What shall I do?', and pause for a reply, and pause in vain."

George Templeton Strong, 1858

As true now as it was then, I fear.



I'm in Stoke-on-Trent tonight, staying with my parents. They're moving house in a few weeks so I'm here to pack up some of my stuff so they have less to do. I've been going through some old stuff and have found a book of religious writing of mine. There are no dates, but I estimate the contents were written from when I was about 17 to when I was 20 or 21. That covers the period that I became a Unitarian. I found the above quote in the writings, but have no evidence or recollection of where I got it from.

Tonight I have found myself converted by myself. I've been reading the firery and passionate stuff I wrote when I was searching and when I was just coming to Unitarianism. From the beginning I had many complaints about the Unitarian faith not reaching its potential. I was never starry-eyed about a perfect Unitarian community. Yet I was passionate that there was a Unitarian gospel to proclaim, and that it was worth doing. Actually I'm suprised at how much of what I have written and said recently I was already saying a few years ago. I'm convinced that my most creative and productive time religiously was as a teenager, and that the rest of my life will be simply expanding upon the doctrines that I worked out then.

I don't want to lose touch with the 19-year-old me. I need him. It is a big fear of mine that as I become a minister I will get so bogged down in the day to day stuff that I will forget this purpose and mission I felt (and feel right now) as an idealistic teenager and twentysomething. I need to keep this energy up somehow. I need to always remember the reason I came to this faith in the first place. I need to love this faith, trust in the divine, be true to my calling and keep reading the stuff I wrote when I was younger.

Conversion is essential. One of the people who can convert me is my teenager self.

God bless.

Comments

UU-Mom said…
I hope you don't mind a comment from a life-long U-to-UU who is active in growth and activism.

It sounds like you have good goals and ideals. How many times have you been to General Assembly? I'm sorry your own congregation is making you discouraged. There are so many more and you see a lot of the best at GA. Keep in touch with UUSC by joining UUSC-hot or whatever it's called - they have an email list and an rss feed for action alerts and news. The UUWO also keeps us informed about UU action.

My own church is growing - we're just getting back to our 1970's number, but we hope to excede our past membership height and we have a new young minister who I think will get us there. Take a peak at what we're doing.

Good luck in your pursuits! I hope I see you at GA.
Anonymous said…
Please be careful!

You belong to a movement that is frequently described as narcissistic.

Therefore, consider how others may read statements like the header to this post.

You believe you've done your best theological work already. Please see my comment above.

There's still plenty to come, I would imagine. It is only good, if it stands up after plenty of reflection after much testing.

Meeting and falling in love with your life partner, marriage, birth of a child, death of a loved one, personal illness, tragedy, sudden misfortune, encounter with another tradition.......
LaReinaCobre said…
I believe it's always good to remember what we used to dream of and desire in life. It's not that we necessarily wanted better things for ourselves when we were younger, but it's good to take stock. There are so many distractions.
PeaceBang said…
Apologies to UU Mom, but I couldn't disagree more that you see "a lot of the best" at General Assembly.
Thanks for the post. To regard our own conscience as a source of religious authority is a hallmark of classical Unitarianism. Of course we're described as narcissistic -- we ARE narcissistic! -- but that's because we're infected by the spiritual disease of narcissism and not the fault of our honored heritage. As you know, one can be "converted by myself" and not do it in a self-indulgent, undisciplined manner. Press on!

Popular posts from this blog

Radical?

When I started this blog nearly 4 years and nearly 300 posts ago one of the labels I used for it/me was "radical." Perhaps I used it a little unreflectively. Recently I've been pondering what radical means. A couple of things have made me think of this. Firstly this blog series from my friend Jeremy, which explores a distinction between "radical progressives" and "rational progressives." There is also this definition of radical, liberal and conservative from Terry Eagleton quoted at Young Anabaptist Radicals : “Radicals are those who believe that things are extremely bad with us, but they could feasibly be much improved. Conservatives believe that things are pretty bad, but that’s just the way the human animal is. And liberals believe that there’s a little bit of good and bad in all of us.” What interests me is finding a way to express the tension I feel sometimes between myself and the wider Unitarian movement. One way to express this is to say I tend

What does it mean to be non-creedal?

Steve Caldwell says "The problem here isn't humanism vs. theism for theist Unitarian Universalists -- it's the non-creedal nature of Unitarian Universalism" This is a good point. We need to think much more deeply about what it means to be a non-creedal religion. The first thing I want to say is that there is more than one possible understanding of non-creedalism. The Disciples of Christ are a non-creedal church, they say here : " Freedom of belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit study and prayer, and are expected to extend that freedom to others." Quakers are also non-creedal and say here : Quakers have no set creed or dogma - that means we do not have any declared statements which you have to believe to be a Quaker. There are, however, some commonly held views which unite us. One accepted view is that th

What is Radical Christianity?

Radical Christianity is about encountering the God of love . It is first and foremost rooted in the discovery of a universal and unconditional source of love at the heart of reality and within each person. God is the name we give to this source of love. It is possible to have a direct and real personal encounter with this God through spiritual practice. We encounter God, and are nourished by God, through the regular practice of prayer, or contemplation.  Radical Christianity is about following a man called Jesus . It is rooted in the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth, a Jewish prophet living under occupation of the Roman Empire two thousand years ago. It understands that's Jesus' message was the message of liberation. His message was that when we truly encounter God, and let God's love flow through us, we begin to be liberated from the powers of empire and violence and encounter the  "realm of God" - an alternative spiritual and social reality rooted in love rather th