Skip to main content

Seeking paradise in Cardiff in 2019

When I started my work in Cardiff in 2018 I really had a blank slate. I knew that my job was to be present in Cardiff and to see what happened. As I look back at 2019 I can see the work coming into sharper focus, but it is still early days.

But I'm much clearer about what my work is. My work is to find places where community, spirituality, and activism are happening, and to join in the work others are doing towards promoting community, spirituality, and activism. Plus, to find the spaces where community, spirituality, and activism intersect, and to nurture those spaces.

I'm also much clearer about where my work is. It is, primarily, in Riverside, a small multicultural neighbourhood, nestled next to the city centre, beneath the shadow of the Principality Stadium.



I do get a sense of the work getting smaller and smaller, more and more concentrated on just a few streets, and that seems really important.

Specifically what has developed for me in 2019 is a formal relationship with a Riverside-based cultural organisation called Gentle/Radical. Gentle/Radical is the organisation I have found that is already doing what I consider to be my mission - connecting community, spirituality, and activism. Gentle/Radical are coming from work in the arts/culture. As they say on their website, "Our activities include pop-up events, exhibitions, performances, installations, sung works, published works, film screenings, symposia, walks, talks, meals, readings, gatherings and other actions that bring people together." Most importantly all of this work takes part in a framework of "democratising" - of making art and culture available for all people and especially those most excluded. Their work takes part in the context of a long-term commitment to the Riverside neighbourhood, and the people that live there. The first Gentle/Radical event I went to in 2018 was called "Rethinking Riverside" and was a conversation about resisting gentrification in inner city neighbourhoods.

Gentle/Radical are also very open to spirituality and faith being a part of this work. They aren't Christian, but they have fully welcomed my work with them as a minister because they know my faith is radical and universalist. 

My collaboration has led me into the arts world, which I find rather amusing as someone who's academic background is in science and theology. For example I was invited to contribute to Communion - an exhibition and event in collaboration with Gentle/Radical, Lumin Journal, and Where I'm Coming From. I contributed a piece of art/spirituality and also was part of a conversation about Decolonising Faith (more on that below). 


Gentle/Radical have been creating a more solid presence in Riverside by taking up residence in Wyndham Street Community Centre for two and half days a week. A lot of the work this year was taken up by redecorating the space and making it beautiful and usable for Gentle/Radical events, and as a co-working space for freelance workers. I've spent a lot of this year painting and decorating (though less than a lot of other people)! 

I've spent a lot of my time this year supporting events with Gentle/Radical - film clubs, events, conversations, multicultural community breakfasts. As well as doing practical things like opening up the Wyndham Street space. We have come to an agreement that I will give one day a week to this work with Gentle/Radical. 

As well as supporting other events, we are working on a project called "Decolonising Faith" - to bring together radical, liberative politics and spiritual practice within an interfaith context. We want to create interfaith work, not based on bland conversations with "religious leaders" but based on how activists of all faiths can use spirituality to truly transform the world. We are jointly committed to a liberation spirituality that seeks to dismantle capitalism, racism, colonialism, militarism, and we believe that spiritual practice is the necessary foundation for that. We are dreaming about a network of spiritual progressives, deeply committed to prayer and to the work of liberation.

I find this work truly exciting, and the more I think about it, the more committed I am to the need to marry spirituality and activism. I find this quote from Andrew Harvey says it all,
"A spirituality that is only private and self-absorbed, one devoid of an authentic political and social consciousness, does little to halt the suicidal juggernaut of history. On the other hand, an activism that is not purified by profound spiritual and psychological self-awareness and rooted in divine truth, wisdom, and compassion will only perpetuate the problem it is trying to solve, however righteous its intentions. When, however, the deepest and most grounded spiritual vision is married to a practical and pragmatic drive to transform all existing political, economic, and social institutions, a holy force – the power of wisdom and love in action – is born.”
We believe that we are in an urgent moment in history (though a moment that is the logical outcome of centuries of oppressive forces of greed, racism, and imperialism), a moment that requires the birthing of that "holy force". And we believe that Wales, as a small nation with a unique history, is a good place for this to happen. Of course it is happening in lots of places around the world, but we think this is a place where we are called to make it happen. 

So, we are planning towards an event, and a long-term work that will create a movement of spiritual activism. This feels so much like the work that God is calling me to in this moment. 

Meanwhile the other place I have been putting my energy has been Extinction Rebellion. While I have some reservations about some aspects of Extinction Rebellion, I think we do need a mass movement to create the revolution we need to deal with the climate emergency. I have done little bits of work in supporting Extinction Rebellion, like taking part in the "Earth Pilgrimage" by walking from Cardiff to Newport, and taking part in action in Cardiff and London
But similarly I've seen by role with Extinction Rebellion as bringing a pastoral and spiritual perspective to the work of activism. The most beautiful moment where this happened in Cardiff was our Interfaith Vigil at the beginning of the Cardiff action which brought together a number of faith practioners to speak and pray for the earth.
I'm also getting more involved with Christian Climate Action as a way to bring together faith and action.

The work is all still developing slowly, and that is OK. Some things I have tried, like running a "Canton Coffee Club" Meetup group, have not worked. But I keep up my gentle presence in these neighbourhoods. I keep going to my local pub and chatting to people there. I keep going to my local FAN ("Friends and Neighbours") Group. I occasionally join in with litter-picking community groups. I keep up my presence among the co-workers at the Gentle/Radical community centre. I work, and read, and write in local cafes and in places like Chapter Arts Centre. I am slowly building relationships with a few dozen people.

And I pray. Oh yes, I pray. Not brilliantly. Not as much as I fantasise about - being an urban monk giving an hour a day to spiritual practice. But I do pray and I do see that as my most important work.

I need to pray. I need God. I am certain of this. I am a Universalist and I believe in grace, not works. I am sustained by a sense and an experience that the work is God's, not mine, and I just need to find where the spirit is blowing and lift my sails and go with it. Spiritual practice is where it begins, and where it ends. And I need to stay committed to that.

Comments

Anna Jarvis said…
Dear Stephen. Just read this - huge amount to process - but one great big heartfelt thank you, for both your words and your work and your prayer. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you.
Maud Robinson said…
Stephen, you are brave and radical and I thank God for the work you have set yourself and which you are getting on and doing in Cardiff. Bless your faith; may it continue to uphold you, as you invite God /the Universe / All That Is to lead and imbue your work.
with love Maud

Popular posts from this blog

Radical?

When I started this blog nearly 4 years and nearly 300 posts ago one of the labels I used for it/me was "radical." Perhaps I used it a little unreflectively. Recently I've been pondering what radical means. A couple of things have made me think of this. Firstly this blog series from my friend Jeremy, which explores a distinction between "radical progressives" and "rational progressives." There is also this definition of radical, liberal and conservative from Terry Eagleton quoted at Young Anabaptist Radicals : “Radicals are those who believe that things are extremely bad with us, but they could feasibly be much improved. Conservatives believe that things are pretty bad, but that’s just the way the human animal is. And liberals believe that there’s a little bit of good and bad in all of us.” What interests me is finding a way to express the tension I feel sometimes between myself and the wider Unitarian movement. One way to express this is to say I tend

What does it mean to be non-creedal?

Steve Caldwell says "The problem here isn't humanism vs. theism for theist Unitarian Universalists -- it's the non-creedal nature of Unitarian Universalism" This is a good point. We need to think much more deeply about what it means to be a non-creedal religion. The first thing I want to say is that there is more than one possible understanding of non-creedalism. The Disciples of Christ are a non-creedal church, they say here : " Freedom of belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit study and prayer, and are expected to extend that freedom to others." Quakers are also non-creedal and say here : Quakers have no set creed or dogma - that means we do not have any declared statements which you have to believe to be a Quaker. There are, however, some commonly held views which unite us. One accepted view is that th

What is Radical Christianity?

Radical Christianity is about encountering the God of love . It is first and foremost rooted in the discovery of a universal and unconditional source of love at the heart of reality and within each person. God is the name we give to this source of love. It is possible to have a direct and real personal encounter with this God through spiritual practice. We encounter God, and are nourished by God, through the regular practice of prayer, or contemplation.  Radical Christianity is about following a man called Jesus . It is rooted in the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth, a Jewish prophet living under occupation of the Roman Empire two thousand years ago. It understands that's Jesus' message was the message of liberation. His message was that when we truly encounter God, and let God's love flow through us, we begin to be liberated from the powers of empire and violence and encounter the  "realm of God" - an alternative spiritual and social reality rooted in love rather th