Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Kick-ass chalice

OK, this is a bit geeky-liturgical talk, sorry, but hey.

After my previous post about looking for a kick-ass chalice I was on the look out in Taize for something and found what I think is pretty cool.

It's a chalice that's actually a chailce. A chalice, along with a plate that could be used for communion. Plus an oil lamp that can be placed on top of the chalice giving - a flaming chalice. It's not designed to do that, but it works pretty well.

I haven't lit it yet, I suppose I need to get some oil. I'm not really sure how oil lamps work. I may set myself alight.

But - it's good, isn't it?



6 Comments:

Blogger Boy in the Bands (Scott Wells) said...

Not the biggest fan of ceramic communion ware, but this is rather good.

Where did you get it, find it?

9:35 pm  
Blogger Boy in the Bands (Scott Wells) said...

Oh, olive oil should work, but you're going to have to trim that wick.

9:36 pm  
Blogger Robin Edgar said...

Ever since the rather unfortuitous unilateral creative decision of CUC Executive Director Mary Bennett to insert famous U*U Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s drawing of an asshole between the twin cheeks of what is now known U*U World-wide as U*Uism, to symbolize the purported "inclusiveness" of the U*U "religious community". . . it would probably be advisable to avoid using terms like "kick-ass" to describe U*U religious symbols and/or U*U religious paraphanalia etc. ;-)

9:50 pm  
Anonymous Philocrites said...

When Mrs Philocrites and I went to Taize in 2005, we bought the same oil lamp, but came home with a different chalice and paten that don't stack in quite the same way. I think we have only lit the lamp for Br Roger's funeral later that year; we watched the service on a French Catholic TV station that broadcast it over the Internet.

1:25 pm  
Blogger Robin Edgar said...

Here`s another kick*ass chalice for U*Us. . . ;-)

5:18 am  
Blogger Simon said...

Hi Stephen,

I was wondering - do Unitarian Churches have Communion Services?

I've discovered my nearest Unitarian Church is in Shrewsbury, Shropshire (the one that Charles Darwin attended I think) and hope to go along one Sunday.

Cheers,

Si

8:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home