Saturday, September 02, 2006

Leaving Birmingham


For 22 of my 24 years on this Earth I lived within 20 miles of Birmingham. For 4 years of my life have been lived in the city. I've never lived in any other British region, though I have lived in another country.

Yesterday I left Birmingham. I should be in Manchester now, but there's been complications with the flat so I'm in Stoke until it's sorted out. I may be offline more in the next few weeks and so things may quieten down on here. I'll be back when I get broadband (and myself) into my new place.

4 Comments:

Blogger boyinthebands said...

When you get a moment, for the edification of your American readers, can you unpack some of the meaning of leaving Brum for the wilds of Manchester. Having spent all of about two weeks of my life on That Sceptered Isle, and only about three days of that outside of Greater London, I would love to have an insight.

However, I empathically understand putting the picture of Mr. Egg up. I've never been there but understand why it's there.

9:53 pm  
Blogger Stephen said...

If you look carefully you can see the sign that says 'Eat Like A Queen For £3' I love that.

12:25 pm  
Blogger boyinthebands said...

I did see the sign. I suppose I should chuckle over the implied gay/queen joke, but I've got too much Roundhead -- and thus republican -- blood in me to get worked up about queens of any background. But 3 pounds for a cooked breakfast sound delightful.

I Googled Mr. Egg and noted that they also sell Southern fried chicken. That's one item on the English good landscape I've never understood since it is nearly impossible to get proper fried chicken out of the South in the US. (It should be pan fried in an inch of fat, not submerged in deep fat.) What's the appeal?

4:00 pm  
Blogger Matt said...

Stephen, I was just in Manchester this week - it's a great place.

I'm currently in Liverpool, another excellent northern city, and think the two places have a great deal in common. Just the general feel of the places - major cities but with their own distinctive cultural edge.

Are you studying or working there?

10:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home